Printfriendly

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Pat Boone and the F-Word

Wikipedia has an article about a documentary film, by director Steve Anderson, about a word which many people find offensive. The film was simply called "Fuck".

In the article, it states, about Pat Boone (the man who became a Christian in the late 60s or early 70s, and who played the part of David Wilkerson in the movie The Cross and The Switchblade), "Boone argues for less usage of the word in society, and points out that he uses his own name, 'Boone', instead of the word."

Now, I am in agreement with Pat, regarding less usage of the word, because there are some people who use it mindlessly, like some other people can't talk without saying "um". For some people, "fuck" or "fucking" or fucker" (and the even more offensive word "motherfucker") takes the form of noun, verb, adjective, adverb, and just about every other type of word. It's kind of similar to the way that Beavis and Butthead, the cartoon characters, might derive glee from saying "ass".

Still, saying that a word is far too prevalent is not the same thing as saying that it should never be used under any circumstances. I have been known to say the word when I was really angry. And I think it's a perfectly good word when one intends to talk about copulation, aka coitus, aka intercourse, aka "making love". Can you imagine a person saying to his or her spouse, "Let's copulate, honey"? Or "Copulate with me harder?" I don't think so!!! I can't speak for personal experience yet (since I'm still a virgin at the age of 57), but it seems to me that one has to be lost in the land of euphemisms to painstakingly use any of those terms in everyday circumstances.

There is a category of sex toys (usually quite expensive) called "fucking machines" on the web sites where they are sold. Basically, these are machines (many of which can be seen at www.mylovemachine.com) which thrust a dildo in and out of a woman's vagina at some pretty impressive speeds. (The Caesar 3.0, for instance, operates at thrusting speeds of 75 to 300 strokes per minute!) Judging from some of the videos I've seen at YouTube, some of these machines are fairly quiet, but others are quite noisy. Check out the video at http://youtu.be/TfYxtnXWZc8.

I'm Facebook friends with Pat Boone. So I think maybe I'll send him a message, asking if we should now call the Caesar 3.0 a "Boone-ing Machine"!

No comments: