Printfriendly

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Annoying Problems with Blogger and Mac Computers

As I write this, I'm at the large Apple computer store on Michigan Avenue in Chicago, just a couple of blocks south of Chicago Avenue. I'm trying to edit an earlier post, but every time I go to the Edit Posts page, the Safari browser program crashes. That's happened when working on more than one Apple computer in the store.

Don't tell me the computers aren't configured properly. If the folks at the Apple store in Chicago don't know how to set up Mac computers, no one does.

As you can see, I'm able to enter new posts just fine. So it's clearly a problem at Google's end, from what I can see.

I've never had this particular problem when working on a Windows computer. I'm not sure if it's a problem pertaining to the Mac platform, or just a temporary aberration which has nothing to do with the platform.

I'll really be glad when I get my own (Windows) computer up and running again. But right now, I just don't have the money to get it repaired.

By the way, another serious annoyance (which I've experienced before in Blogger) is that my paragraph returns aren't handled properly when I rely on Blogger to set up the returns. Blogger seems to use CSS to do so. That would be fine, if it worked properly, but it doesn't. I finally got the paragraphs to format properly by returning to good old HTML code, using paragraph codes at the beginning of every new paragraph.

UPDATE: I discovered, after speaking with one of the sales people at the Apple store, that the problem I was having with the computer crashing whenever I tried to edit my Blogger posts was being caused by some type of coding error pertaining to the Safari browser. Switching to Firefox solved the problem. Unfortunately, they have a standard configuration for each computer at the Apple store, and they return each computer to that configuration every night before the store closes. Understandable, but it means that whenever I come in and want to use their computers to edit blog posts, I have to download Firefox again on that particular day. Fortunately, they do have a fast connection, so that doesn't take a huge amount of time.



No comments: