Printfriendly

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Relatively Short Autobiography

Now that I've discovered the web publishing benefits of Google Docs, I've decided to use that program's nice little free word processor in order to create a document consisting of a short autobiography of myself. The nice thing about Google Docs is that it makes it easy to turn word processed documents into web pages which aren't cluttered with all of the doodads (sidebar links and so forth) which characterize posts on this and other blogs. Just a clean, crisp white page with text and links. Of course, one can also add graphics if one wishes to do so, but it isn't necessary.

I especially like the fact that one can set things up so that the HTML web page is automatically updated whenever one updates the word processed document on which the HTML page is based. I've decided to use that feature in order to enable me to periodically add more text for the purpose of expanding and completing the aforementioned autobiography.

The Google Docs word processor can also export text in various formats, including Microsoft Word (.doc) and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf). And even though it isn't as full-featured as Microsoft Word, it's surprisingly capable, with a lot of useful features, such as Bookmarks so that one can easily navigate to different sections of the document after saving it as a web page.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't miss Return to Forever in Chicago on June 20! For info on the show and on how to get VIP access to the show (including a meet and greet and preparty!) visit www.return2forever.com.

If you would like an ecard for the show just email me! insightmg8@aol.com

Mark Pettigrew said...

Thanks for the info, Melissa. I'm assuming that your invitation is in response to the fact that I mentioned liking Chick Corea and Return to Forever (in spite of the fact that Chick's a Scientologist, definitely not because of it!) in my "short autobiography".

Unfortunately, if you'd read the entire autobiography instead of just reading the part pertaining to Chick's band, you'd have seen the part at the bottom which pertained to my current financial difficulties. So unless that June 20 show is free, it's very unlikely that I'll be able to attend.