Printfriendly

Saturday, April 25, 2009

If This Is Affluence ...

I just got three identical copies of an e-mail message containing the following message:
Hello,

You have been invited by Dale Smithey to join Affluence.org. Affluence.org is an exclusive community of affluent people dedicated to making life better for both themselves and others.
Hmmm, do you think Dale really knows me? Is he aware that I live in a single room at a YMCA in downtown Chicago, where I've lived since 1992? Does he know that I've been living on the verge of eviction from that small room for the past couple of years ever since losing my last long-term job? Does he know that I rely on "food stamps" (a/k/a my LINK card) just to be able to buy groceries?

If this is "affluence," I'd hate to see poverty. Maybe he was thinking of spiritual riches, but somehow, I doubt it.

Considering the current state of the economy, I'm inclined to think that Dale might do better to focus on a demographic group which is not rapidly shrinking in this country in terms of numbers.

No comments: