Printfriendly

Friday, November 11, 2005

My Job Search
(Part 1)

On October 13, I lost my job. I was working as an administrative assistant for a lawyer (and landlord) here in Chicago. In some respects, it's a miracle that I lasted there as long as I did. In terms of personalities, the two of us were like oil and water. Or, more to the point, like oil and fire! In my opinion, my boss had (and very likely still has) a serious "anger management" problem. She seemed to think that the fact that she was my boss entitled her to throw a temper tantrum anytime anything slightly displeased her.

I begged to differ, and I still do.

I have no problem with the fact that there are certain prerogatives which come with being someone's boss, but I don't believe that bosses are exempt from the moral obligation to treat people decently, with kindness and respect. It's called the Golden Rule, and it applies to everyone without exception.

There is a verse in the Bible which says something to this effect: "To whom much is given, much will be required." Just as our domination of the earth's environment does not entitle us to abuse the environment, so also authority over other human beings does not entitle us to abuse them. Regardless of whether a person is a boss, a parent, a teacher or a political leader, God will hold that person accountable for how he or she has used (and, in some cases, abused) that position of authority.

No comments: