Printfriendly

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Refuting A Nonsensical Claim

Recently, I was browsing through the books at Borders, and I came across a book by Guy P. Harrison, entitled 50 Reasons People Give for Believing In A God. Harrison appears to be an atheist, and the book appears to scrutinize and critique arguments sometimes used in order to justify belief in God. I'm not in a position to assess the legitimacy of his arguments, because I haven't yet had the chance to read the book. As a strong believer in God, I suspect that I will find a lot of holes in his arguments, if and when I do read his book. But even unbelievers are capable of insight every once in a while. Such was the case with regard to the following text (on page 215) which I found while scanning through the book:
Some believers think that all religions are equally valid and that all paths lead to heaven. This sounds wonderfully optimistic, but it only makes sense to people who know nothing about the conflicting and irreconcilable claims of the world's religions.
I agree. Some people allow wishful thinking to take the place of sound judgment.

When Christians make claims regarding the exclusivity of Christianity, they aren't being snobbish or arrogant. They are merely taking Christ at his word. Either Jesus knew what he was talking about when he said, "No man comes to the Father but through me," or he didn't. If he didn't know what he was talking about, then he certainly isn't worth worshipping, and people who believe that he didn't know what he was talking about ought not to call themselves Christians. If Jesus did know what he was talking about, then it is impossible for people to have access to God the Father without believing in Christ.

Some people want to have it both ways, by claiming to be Christians while denying that Christ offers the only way to have access to the Father. Such people lack integrity. People who lack integrity are unworthy of respect.

No comments: