Printfriendly

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Mortality and Realism

The following comment was posted in response to the article posted at http://www.ruminatemagazine.com/2012/10/heart-mumur-and-still-life/#comment-1014.

People who obsess over issues pertaining to aging are not morbid; they are simply realists who, for one reason or another, have been forced to confront mortality. In my case, the 2 strokes I had in 2011 and 2012 (I’m currently 56 years old) have forced me to consider that I may not live much longer. (My grandfather died at the age of 65, killed by a stroke, and my father died at that same age.) Learning of the death of people who once seemed young and vibrant (e.g., guitarist Dana Key of the band DeGarmo and Key) has got me thinking a lot about eternity. As a Christian, I am looking forward to the day when my body will once again work the way God meant it to work. (I currently walk with a cane, with great difficulty, although there are others, such as Joni Eareckson, who are considerably worse off than I.)

I really feel sorry for atheists, such as Penn Jillette, who have nothing to look forward to after their bodies have ceased to function altogether

No comments: